Put that cell phone down!
#179 | 20:11 |
Monday July 13, 2009
Monday July 13, 2009
Driving while using a cell phone is widely recognized as a bad idea. In many jurisdictions, it's even against the law. Andy and Sean demonstrate how to abide by the
handsfree cell phone use lawsthat recently came into effect in the USA and Canada... and that many cell phone loving nations have had to contend with for some time already. The Lab Rats run down
how to go handsfree for freeand outline some of the hottest
handsfree headsets and speakersthat keep you connected while keeping you on the right side of the law... and the road.
Download this episode now
Subscribe to this show
- Many jurisdictions already have handsfree-only while driving laws in place.
- Wikipedia has a list of countries and jurisdictions that legislate cell phone use in cars that's worth checking out.
- Most phones have a speaker phone.
- This is an inexpensive and simple way to go sort-of handsfree.
- If you're still holding your phone in your hand, you're not complying with the law in most jurisdictions, however.
- Most modern phones come with a handsfree headset in the box. The iPhone, for example, comes with a stereo headset with an inline microphone.
- Sean cautions: Listening to music via headphones while driving is a badidea.
Wireless headsets and speakers
Wireless solutions generally use Bluetooth. Check out The Noob ep. 5: What is Bluetooth? for details on this wireless standard.
- Allows you to take and, in some cases, make calls without having to touch your phone.
Plantronic Stereo Bluetooth Headset
- See Lab Rats ep. 87: A2DP is not a droid for an explanation of A2DP and Bluetooth.
$100 - $130
- Check out Mr. Mobile ep. 2: Jawbone Bluetooth headset for a full review of the Jawbone.
$70 or less
US$99 or less (if you shop around)
- Transmits your calls through your car stereo using FM radio.
- Get Smart, for anyone too young to remember the show.
BlueAnt S1 Speakerphone
- Uses voice recognition to answer and dial calls.
Spracht BlueNote Aura
- Can be used at home or in the car.
- Is a stereo Bluetooth device.
- Texting while you drive is REALLY DANGEROUS! Don't do it. And on a similar note, drinking and driving is REALLY DANGEROUS! Don't do that either.
- Darwin Awards.
Send in your best impression of the Lab Rats for your chance to Win a swanky butterscotch.com mug
- Upload your video to YouTube and send a link to your vid to: