Facebook groups and events
Pt. 6 of 10 | 4:06 |
Tuesday October 28, 2008
Tuesday October 28, 2008
Facebook can be used to connect friends and to schedule and attend events. Also, in keeping with Facebook's social networking mantra, Facebookers can search for public events and join virtual groups to meet people with similar interests. You can also create your own events and groups for your friends to join and so you can make new friends.
Download this episode now
- To see your upcoming events move your mouse over the Applications menu at the top of the screen and scroll down to events.
- This will show you your upcoming events as well as your friend's events, past events, and birthdays.
- You can also browse events that are going on by clicking the browse events link at the top left. You can then set network, date range, and type.
- If you see something you like you can RSVP to the event, or you can click on the title to see more information about that event.
- Creating your own event is easy.
- From the event main page click the + Create an Event button at the top right of the window.
- Give the event a name, and a brief description in the tagline.
- You can set who an and cannot see the event under the network setting. You then enter the host information.
- You have to put the event in an event type. Select the event category and then then sub category.
- Give a full description in the description page. Then set the start date and time and end date and time for the event.
- The location and city for these events are mandatory.
- You can also set contact information for the event by putting in a phone number or e-mail address.
- Click create event.
- You can add a photo for the event from an image on your computer. And select privacy options.
- After you've finished with the privacy settings you can select the guest by adding them from your facebook friends in the upper right corner of the window. Or you can send e-mails to friends that are not on facebook in the lower right hand corner.
- Go to applications and select groups.
- To search for groups type in a term in the groups search engine. You'll find a variety of similar interest groups and then you'll be able to join those groups.
- If you can't find the exact group you are looking for you can create your own group.
- From the group main page click the + Create a New Group button.
- Enter in the group name, description, group type, and any other information you feel is relevant.
- You can also upload a photo for the group and set the privacy setting for who can and cannot join the group.